Friday, September 14, 2007

Thing #14 tagging in technorati

The Terrible Truth about Tagging on Technorati

I get it. Tagging a post is different than tagging a blog. A blog with a tagg is going to have posts about the subject on a regular basis. Just searching a post only gives you recent examples of when anyone discussed a subject. This is useful if you are looking for info or opinions on a particular event or product, (say you want to know more about the new I-phone) you would be best served to search posts. Searching for the blog tagg will help you find a blog that is going to be consistently (at least partially) about the topic you are interested in (Japanese poetry, economics in Uganda, whatever). So think of the blogg taggs as searching for the title of a journal, and the post taggs as searching for a specific article in said journal. What is better? Depends on what your looking for. For the purpose of learning 2.0, I found that the blogg tagg results were more relevant and useful.

As for the top searches...why would you search for a blog about myspace? I guess there is a great deal of varying opinion and argument over the issue but I mean really? Popularity doesn't = credibility so you can keep the top 100.

On a side bar, what is this authority stuff on technorati? I suppose I should find out but my guess is it's like seller ratings on e-bay and what does that really tell you about someones actual authority on an issue? I think not so much.

-M

No comments: