Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Week 9 Thing 23 Summery

1. My favorite discovery exercise was online productivity exercise I Had never used an online word processor before and I think it is one of the most useful web 2.0 type resources in the whole program. As I mentioned in my post for that 'thing' I believe it could be a very useful resource for patrons who have trouble moving data around.

2. This program has not affected my life long learning goals. I already had goals before this program and I still have them after.

3. My favorite take-away from this program was Pandora.com an online radio station that you can program by telling it what kind of music you like and do not like. Personally, that was my favorite part of the program.

4. To improve this program I would recommend a more careful consideration of the 'things' used and/or how one is directed to look at them. There is a difference between familiarizing ones self with a professional resource that may be used to help staff field questions, or may be useful to staff and patrons, and poking around a site like youtube, that you familiarize yourself with to help patrons navigate the site. I think that discovery excesses could be more carefully tailored to each purpose. Such as giving staff a question to answer using the site, or a specific topic to search. Having a reason to use a site or application in a specific manner would help familiarize a learner with it in a much more real way than just asking us to poke around.

5. I would chose to participate in future programs if offered CEUs.

6. 23 things, a bunch of moderately useful stuff you might not have heard of yet. (Hows that for marketing?)

-M

No comments: